Free Etsy Workshop- Stockport

Free Etsy Workshop

On Friday I went to a free Etsy workshop at Stockport library, it was called Selling on Etsy - Start your online creative business. The workshop was run by Nicola Rowlands, a maker, small business owner and mum.
From Nicola Rowland's Instagram

The majority of those that turned up were stay at home mums and those who had taken a break from work to fulfil their creative businesses. It was a great opportunity to meet other small business owners that lived and worked in the same area as my studio.

The advice Nicola was giving was lovely, reassuring and informative, it was enough to give everyone a kick up the bum in the right direction as well as helping to realise expectations and time frames. It was amazing to hear other people's stories, and they came about setting their own business up, which hurdles they had managed to jump.

Before the meet up, I was scared to look at my numbers- I had just been making up prices and not looking at the facts or other costs. I was inspired to go home and start on the spreadsheets- even though this sounds incredibly boring, it was quite liberating to see how much profit I have made and how much each of my products actually cost to make. One thing I wasn't expecting was that it helped me to work out how many of my current products I would need to sell to earn a living wage. This inspired me to come up with some new product ideas that I could sell at a higher price than my prints, to earn a larger income from one off products and to have a more expensive/exclusive range than my prints and postcards. 

As well as meeting lots of new people at the meet up, we now share a mutual following on social media sites and support each other's businesses- I feel this is a very important key to running a small business. 

I'm definitely going to keep my eyes peeled for more of these type of workshops, I've been recommended to try the Google Digital Garage in Manchester. I also want to attend more meet ups with local Stockport people and small businesses.  

Comments

Popular Posts