A Zero Waste Business?

Fighting the War on Waste

I'm sure we can all agree that after watching the fabulous Sir David Attenborough in the Blue Planet II series, we all want to do our bit to improve our current plastic planet. I have certainly seen a lot of changes in people's behaviours and surprisingly in big companies too! For example, Wetherspoons are now using paper straws instead of plastic ones (I used to work for one of their larger pubs and can confirm they do get through a lot of straws!) and frozen food supermarket Iceland are going to use paper-based trays for their food instead of plastic. Amazing.

Sir David Attenborough 

As a consumer, I have always been aware of recycling, i've always kept my belongings to the bitter end (you should've seen my first car!) and i've never just bought something because it's the 'Now' or because it's 'On Trend.' More recently I started to think about things such as not buying coffees or teas unless it's in a washable mug or travel cup- I've never been successful at juggling a hot paper cup. I bought myself a little flask that is my water bottle- it keeps drinks soooo cold for hours and I can refill it and use it again. 
If you missed the last post, I was explaining how I buy the bulk of my groceries from Stockport Market to reduce waste and to support local business, however, on the odd occasion when I do need a supermarket for different items, I take my list. Now you might think i've gone mad or too far, but with every item that I pick up, I make the conscious decision of how little damage possible I can cause for the planet. For example, when I buy honey or mayonnaise, it's in a glass jar because it's easier and less toxic to recycle than plastic. I also stopped buying shower gel, instead I buy bars of soap that are wrapped in paper or not wrapped at all.


One big key to this for me is mindfulness. THINKING about what we do.


When I first opened my Etsy shop and I started to produce prints, I wanted my work to look professional and to be kept safe from finger prints or the rain whilst being posted. I bulk bought a packet of cellophane sleeves from amazon that were cheap enough. After a discussion with a friend, she informed me that you can buy eco-friendly packaging. It did make me feel incredibly guilty and irresponsible for not checking that they exist, so I agreed not to buy the plastic ones again. 






I can excitedly say that I have now bought some potato starch clear wallets that are 100% biodegradable, they feel and look the same as my others but I know they're better for the planet. They were also bought from a British business and were actually cheaper than the ones I used to buy! I have started to think about other forms of packaging and how I can pack boxes of products when I do make a large sale.

I always recycle paper in my studio and always buy planet friendly and recycled sketchbooks as well as non toxic inks and recycled pencils.


Please comment below with any of your Zero Waste or Planet Friendly tips! 

Comments

Popular Posts