Stockport Market



Stockport Market

What is 'Stockport'? 
Stockport is a large town just outside of Manchester, it's bursting with history and independent shops, and it is also where my little studio is situated. 
My studio

The area that I usually work and shop in is known as The Old Town, where lots of antique shops, old pubs and barbers surround the Old Market Hall. 
I love this shape relationship between the antique shop and the pub
The amazing market hall


Stockport Old Town is a funny little place that in my opinion is sat on a fence, I feel like with the right government support, it could become a thriving market area with lots of local businesses, on the other hand, I feel like the encroaching supermarkets and big named shops as well as the lack of local cash machines and free parking could send it into ruin.

Since opening my business and trying everything to gain new customers, I have very quickly faced the reality for many small shop owners. The battle to fight the large and convenient supermarkets that are sitting on your customer's doorstep selling everything that your customer needs. 

Luckily for me, the Stockport Market is on my doorstep and offers a far more pleasurable experience than the supermarkets. I visit the green grocers where I hand him my (reusable) bag and he fills it up for me, telling me when I've reached my budget and offering advice on how to cook certain things. As well as always having lots of high quality, seasonal veg that's loose, allowing me to choose how many I need, as well as it not being suffocated in unnecessary plastic. I also visit the cheese stand where I buy my eggs, butter and cheese- I am always offered a taste of at least two different varieties of cheese before I buy. I genuinely enjoy the conversations that I can have with these small business owners, as well as finding out more about the history of the markets and the local events such as Foodie Friday and Vintage Village. It makes a lovely change from the uninterested 'y'alright' as the Aldi assistant hurls your shopping back at you. 



The other day when the market was closed due to bad weather, I went into a Greenhalghs shop just down the hill from the old market where the shop worker told me she 'hasn't been to the market in years,' I was shocked and disappointed to be honest (it's a stones throw away!). 


Anyway. the point of this post is that I am very passionate about shopping small and shopping local, keeping my hard earned cash for the hard working local folk, keeping my hard earned cash within a community that cares about me and not paying the high wages of the overly popular supermarket bosses. 


I feel very strongly about shopping small because, as a small business, I want others to buy unique, buy from me and my fellow artists. I'm sick of seeing posts on Facebook about what unicorn related products ASDA is currently trying to force down our throats followed by a post about a local fish mongers closing it's doors for the last time and how upset the locals are because they used to shop there.



 from Facebook 'stockport memories' page


As consumers, we are responsible for keeping our small shops open, keeping our neighbours in jobs, and looking after our planet. Use them. Support them.


As always, please feel free to comment on my posts. I love to hear your opinions


Comments

Popular Posts