Wear a Hat Day Community Project


On Friday 30th March I ran a hat making workshop for families at the Hat Works Museum in Stockport (near Manchester). It was a community project aimed at raising money and awareness for Brain Tumour Research on the charity's "Wear a Hat Day." I was invited to run the workshop by Stockport-based milliner Bronwen Simpson. I've delivered a few group projects in the past and was up for the challenge!

Wear a Hat Day
I had never heard of the Brain Tumour Research charity before planning this workshop, and with a whopping 16,000 people diagnosed with a brain tumour every year, that's quite alarming. Unfortunately, I found that a lot of the families that came to the workshop had been directly effected by the disease, knowing someone that had suffered or passed away. Sadly I am also one of those people effected, my nana was taken from me due to a cancerous brain tumour, making this event extra special to me, knowing that I was raising money to help other potential victims, as brain tumours kill more children and adults under the age of 40 than any other cancer, any one of us could be affected. 
My very brave nana straight out of brain surgery


The location
The Hat Works in Stockport was the ideal location to run a hat making workshop, tying in with Wear a Hat Day and the towns hatting heritage. The event brought locals to the museum that had never been before or haven't been for many years. One comment that has stuck with me is "because it's on my doorstep and its always open, I never go" which I think is true for many of us, and we would only visit when we know it will be closing down forever, that's why events like this one are so important. A few of the parents that attended wanted to know more about the classes and workshops that are held at Hat Works, feeling inspired by their surroundings.



A real community project
I'm not going to lie, I was nervous at first to stand in front of a room full of strangers and instruct them on how to make a hat (whilst wearing a brighter than life pink t-shirt). But as soon as I was pushed out of my comfort zone, I just dealt with it and actually really enjoyed myself. It was great to get away from my desk and out into the community, to meet lots of new people and to chat to them about Stockport and their stories of the area. It was lovely to see families working together and seeing children step away from the phones and tablets! 
A table full of fantastic hats!


The actual making
For the workshop I had produced three different designs of hats with instructions. When running the workshop I used two of the designs as well as a very simple hat shape. This was to keep materials and instructions under control and made it easier for me to help those who needed it. 
The hat that required instructions was more technical, aimed at the older children within the family and the colouring in hat was aimed at the younger children who could work a crayon. Both hats needed the help of an adult to staple and cut the templates out which enabled the activity to be a team effort.

I'm not just saying this, I was actually very surprised and very impressed with what the families managed to come up with. It was really exciting to watch as the instructions were discarded and the hat making took on a life of it's own! One little boy came in with his pre-planned idea, all drawn up and ready to make, he roped in two family members to get cutting and sticking and finished up with a gladiator hat and armour! His little brother made an adorable hat with bunny ears- perfect for easter.
Gladiator Hat!
All of my paper hat milliner students had a chance at winning some amazing prizes over at the Merseyway Shopping centre in the Easter Bonnet Parade- where one of my students won first prize! - I'm just awaiting photos from the event 

To top a fantastic day off, it was also Foodie Friday! An event run by Seven Miles Out that gathers live music, food and drink to the Old Town area of Stockport, a very special community event. We were lucky enough to set up a fund raising table at the event to keep collecting money!

I want to say a huge thank you to all the families that supported their local museum, their local artists (Myself and Bronwen) and to those who donated to Brain Tumour Research. Also, a big thank you to Seven Miles Out and Foodie Friday for supporting this event on social media and for giving us a collecting table in the Market Hall. Let's make it even bigger next year! 
x x x

Comments

Popular Posts