My recent trip to Mallorca




I took a well deserved break- something I find difficult to do.

When I'm in the studio all week and working at my day job at the weekends, I find it very difficult to squeeze in a day off- I know it would make me more productive and creative to have a break but I have so much I want to do, I just don't get round to having a day off. 

After lots of good food, Sangria and sitting around chatting, I finally relaxed a bit more and just took in my surroundings. We were staying in Pollença, which is surrounded by the most stunning rocky mountains, old style wind farms and wildlife. Each day we drove out to different beaches and went on different adventures into the hills, and each night we were greeted by different creatures such as owls, lizards, beetles and goats. I took no expectations other than I wanted to chill out, everything after that was a bonus and I found everything 100 times more inspiring. 

Unfortunately this little fella was dead when I found him, he was so cute I couldn't resist drawing him 

On the odd occasion I did feel like I was punishing myself for not drawing, for just sitting around. I had to tell myself to give up on that idea and to just live and enjoy the moment, punishing myself for not being ‘productive’ was not going to work. However, I did find that once I returned home, I was inspired massively by my photographs and managed to make more drawings than I would’ve done had I stressed about them on holiday. 


My Biro drawing of the mountains


*Bonus bit for you plastic free people*
Being as plastic free as possible on holiday. 

I thought traveling would be quite a difficult task when you're trying to stay plastic free.HOWEVER. I managed some things that meant I could make as least plastic waste as possible. When I was in Manchester collecting my travel essentials, I made a trip to the Eighth Day Café on Oxford Road. Their shop stocks all sorts of plastic free alternatives that are quite cheap and easy to use. I got my shampoo bar, unpackaged bar of soap and bamboo toothbrush from there. Something else I was impressed with (and didn't realise I could do) was taking my metal flask bottle with me. This might sound like a silly comment but I genuinely thought some part of the flask wouldn't be allowed through security- but when it has no water in it, it is absolutely fine! When you get through security and into the waiting lounge, you can get it filled with tap water from any bar/restaurant- also saving you about £3 on a bottle of water. Having my water bottle with me on holiday was a god send. I filled it up with ice cubes and tap water and it was still freezing cold on the beach hours later- bliss.

Comments

Popular Posts