My First Ever Selling Event



When anyone one says 'trade fairs' or "which selling events are you doing this year?" I run a mile and hide. I don't feel like I have the stock that I want people to see yet and I don't feel confident enough in my own work just yet (maybe this is the perfect time to jump right in?).

The building I rent my studio in (Marketplace Studios, Stockport) usually hold an open day once every 6 months or so to allow the public in to see what we're working on. It's not usually a busy event and sometimes is a bit sparse on numbers. Fortunately we have a project space on the ground floor of our building that we were able to open up to the public. The Marketplace Makers event worked in timing with the Makers Market (sat) and the Vintage Village (sun). We had the right crowd at our doorstep and plenty of artists at the ready.


Each resident artist and maker set up their own little stand to sell and promote their work, because the space is included within our studio fees, there wasn't the added pressure of making sales, it was an easy flowing environment that welcomed shoppers in.
I am extremely grateful that I managed to make 6 sales throughout the weekend, including my new Jungle Boogie cards and prints. This support really boosted my self confidence and spurred me on to finish the Jungle Boogie project.



I was overwhelmed with support in person and on social media.
It's also shown me that more people are readily and more willing to buy prints and greetings cards when they can see them in person, as apposed to seeing them online in a thumbnail.

*My card reader very annoyingly appeared the day after the event so I have yet to play with that but i'm ready for the next selling opportunity now!*

Comments

Popular Posts