Learn more about my new products from Light Magic

I seem to find that a lot of my customers love my designs but always want to know more about the story behind them, until now I have never really discussed the inspiration or how the illustration got to how it is now. I want to share some more information for those of you who want to know more, storytelling has always been an important part of the Light Magic series!

My designs are drawn up in my Stockport based studio and my greetings cards are printed onto recycled card in London. My new A5 prints are printed in Manchester by Marc the printers, they use vegetable inks and print onto recycled card and paper. I take great pride in the fact that my clear display wallets are completely compostable- as they are made out of potato starch, this saves them from damaging wildlife or ending up in the sea when my customer has finished with it.


I mentioned in my last post, 'Light Magic Winter 2018' why my new collection is called Light Magic and why i'm calling my greetings cards 'Winter cards' and not 'Christmas cards.'


In my new collection, I have designed each winter card based on a little story or moment that I enjoy, each character has been carefully drawn and edited to suit the story. The back of each card has a different and unique pattern on it that relates to the image on the front. All of my greetings cards are blank on the inside to add your own message/ drawing / poem- I don't like cards that come with a verse so long that you can't write your heart felt message to your best mate. I would (obviously) encourage that if you feel the urge to use glitter in a card- please make sure it's eco friendly!


Underneath here i'm going to add each product's story of their design every week in the lead up to Winter. I will update my social media outlets so you don't miss a single one!




Reindeer and chicken Winter greetings card
Whilst drawing up the reindeer design, I was thinking about when I go to visit my dad, he loves his little wood burner- and the kettle is always on! I love the simple action of just turning up for a brew- and leaving hours later! My dad is a very gentle character- just like the reindeer. I wouldn't liken myself to a chicken but I did enjoy the way they sit together on the rug- so it stuck! This time in winter is perfect for getting together with your family and friends and having that long overdue catch up!



A6 Badger card
Last Christmas when I was working at my local pub the managers invited the off duty staff, the regulars and locals to help decorate the pub in festive decorations. I loved the idea of this celebration of togetherness to work on one activity- whilst they all got far too drunk! I wanted this card to become a celebration of this festive activity, one for you to send to a loved one or friend, to invite them round to help make your house more festive- an excuse to get together and have a great time before the pressures of christmas set in!
*This card seems to be very popular and relatable to those family members that are usually left to put the lights on the tree!*



A6 Penguin card with hand stitched tassel
I wanted to create a winter greetings card that was just a little bit more special than the others, this penguin card has a little tassel hand stitched onto his hat. I chose a penguin because they are quite a hardy bird and associated with winter time, I was inspired by the Hat Works Museum in Stockport when I decided he needed a little hat! The design itself is a high quality copy of the original drawing with some digital elements included. This card is perfect for any penguin or animal lover, it's blank inside ready for any message. 



A5 Canadian Goose print
This inquisitive little goose has a special place in my studio and my heart, he's drawn up from memories of when my dad used to live in his quirky little house by the canal and the geese would nosey at what you were up to- occasionally pecking at your toes.
 Also, for anyone who's been on the canal networks of Castlefield in Manchester, you will know how the Canadian geese rule the waters! During the summer they were taking over main roads, roundabouts, tow paths.. a clear sign that no amount of building work or city life would stop them! I really enjoy the mixture of curiosity and sharpness that these geese have! The original design was made using black ink and acrylic paint, these prints are copies of the original that are printed onto recycled card.




Lino printed bear in a hat greetings card
Lino printing is a technique where you cut away at the lino block to reveal a hand drawn pattern, the negative space that you cut away is the white areas and the material you leave behind becomes the coloured print. This greetings card is an A6 high quality copy of the original print (originals are for sale in my online shop too) then the red is added later. This little chap has become known as Lionel Bear - as named by my studio neighbour, he's really taking on his own personality! This design is especially popular with my male fans it's a great multipurpose card too!



Square shed card

This greetings card is 148mm x 148mm square and is coloured blue, red, grey and brown. It's a high quality copy of the original drawing that was made in pencil and watercolour. This design is an illustration of my stepdad's shed, perched in the middle of the homestead, sandwiched between the house and the wood store, the little shed spends the majority of it's time taking a battering from the Anglesey winds and constant rain but always remains it's little humble self. This is the perfect greetings card for any gardener, keen walker or lover of the countryside (or Anglesey!). Brilliant as a multipurpose card it's blank inside for your own personal message.




A trio of a Bear, a Badger and a Mouse

This A6 sized greetings card makes the perfect party invite for those bonfire get togethers, cosy evening catch ups or even the family christmas do! The drawing was inspired by the way we all meet up for a catch up around December, going that extra mile to see friends and family you've been meaning to catch up with. Inspired by the outdoor Food & Drink festivals of Oktoberfest and the Christmas Markets when the busy times start to build up, there's nothing better than cuddling a warm drink with your friends on a crisp evening. 
If you're looking for a collection of cards, this particular design works well with the Reindeer card and also the badger card, descriptions to come soon! 





Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts