Me and My Creative Business

Welcome to Behind the Scenes of Molly Newport,

I'm Molly Newport and I'm a millennial and proud. Even worse- I'm a twin- there's two of us!
I was born and bred in Leigh, Wigan (England) and I escaped to get myself a degree.
In 2016 I received my First class degree in 'colouring in' as my mum calls it- the actual name is Textiles In Practice, from the Manchester School of Art (MMU).
(I'm the critter on the right)

I've always been OBSESSED with making things, my favourite childhood memory being turning my nana's dining room into a potters wheel disaster at the age of about 7 (she was the one encouraging us to do it!). I have always made cards for every occasion and try to make gifts where I can.

 I now have a studio in Stockport where I create prints, textiles designs and illustrations. I began advertising my business through Instagram and Facebook and I sell some prints through my Etsy shop.
One of my more recent prints


SO. why am I telling you all of this?
Well, I'm starting up my own little business, and I've learnt a hell of a lot in the last 3 months. I've learnt a lot about myself and the way I work and a lot about the way the world currently works. I want to share my findings and opinions and hope that you will share yours too!

I am increasingly finding that every business, Instagram page and blogger only seem to post about the success of their lives. Not that it's taken them years of graft to get to where they are now or the experiences they've had to learn the things they know now. Success seems to be shown in the one Instagram post that gets 4,000 likes but hides the effort and hard work that has gone in to the end result.
I'm not saying this is wrong but I think it does warp (I love that word) our perception of success and expectations of how much effort we need to throw at a project.

I've always been a keen story teller, including all the nitty gritty details and then building the story up to the finale. I've always been willing to share my stories and failures with others to show that I am in fact human and that I've also failed in places- and that failure is a good thing!

If you are also a small business or a creative, I hope that some of my opinions, experiences and thoughts will inspire you or make you think differently about things. I'm hoping that I will also inspire myself by getting some of my ideas written down and out of my head!
Please do comment with your own experiences or thoughts, I genuinely want to hear them!


So buckle up, this blog isn't going to be pretty and wonderful- it's the truth and what i'm feeling behind my Instagram account. My opinions and my experiences, a complete and utter brain dump.




Comments

Popular Posts