Why start a creative business?

The Creative Itch
I mentioned in my first post about how I've always had a love of making things. When I was younger, I would cut up my mums NEXT catalogue before she'd even seen it and I would spend days drawing Powerpuff girls. Mine and my sisters favourite game was called 'Spiderweb' where we would tie bits of wool to every inch of the living room to make - you guessed it- a huge spiderweb that we would then crawl through (our nana was probably in charge of us on those days).


Me and my little cousin doing some painting- yes, I still have that haircut..  

Ever since I was younger, I knew I wanted to be an 'artist.' Maybe the artist I had in mind was a beret wearing, paint palette holding, working onto a canvas kind of artist but I knew I wanted something along that line.  

I went on to receive an A in my GCSE art, a triple distinction* (D*D*D*) at my Art & Design BTEC and a First class degree at uni. I did ok in my other subjects at school but art just really pulled me in. I did well in my cooking lessons too but thats another story!

The Day Job Story. (warning- this is a long paragraph/rant)
When I graduated in 2016, I knew I had to get a job and earn some money. I got my first ever full time job in a salad shop. I was the assistant manager and this taught me the basic structures of running a business: wages, budgets, stock, ordering, cashing up etc. As days turned into weeks and the months rolled on, I found myself craving the time to just do something creative, ANYTHING. In a desperate need to itch my creative scratch, I applied for a studio- the one I still rent now. 
A couple of months after getting my studio, I was sat down at work and told that they were 'terminating my contract' without giving me a reason. This left me unemployed and with bills to pay, my creative time was then taken up by finding a new job- thankfully, two weeks later I was employed again. 
Although it seemed like the opportune moment to begin my creative business in that gap between jobs, I felt so low in self confidence from the event (mixed in with family issues- i'll get into that later) that I just sort of gave in and accepted I had bills to pay.
I started full time work in a Pub- a role I was used to and confident with. I had taken a pay cut and a step down in terms of role and just got on with it. Working late nights, long hours and weekends didn't leave me much energy for my creativity. I began to feel like uni was a taste of a life that I wouldn't get the chance to re-visit. 
Around November last year (2017) I decided that I wanted to take the massive step in making my own business. BUT. Christmas was approaching. If you've ever worked in retail or the bar/ waiting on industry, you will know that December does not belong to you. Put your personal life in a box and get your uniform on! 
In a way, it worked for me, I was able to work enough hours and collect enough tips that I now have the option to go part time for January and February. I work on my business things during the week and my 'day job' at the weekends- just to keep a bit of money coming in.

Pay.
Currently in the UK for someone of my age to work in a minimum pay job, you will receive £7.05 an hour. Although that is fantastic and wonderful because some countries don't even receive that, we are entitled to want to earn more from our time. It's taken me months to accept that it's ok to think that way. Although working self employed, you have to put a lot of effort in at the beginning and expect not to earn anything back, I am a strong believer that it will pay off one day! 
My end result is to earn even just £1 a month more than I was earning full time in my minimum wage job, but I know I will feel more fulfilled and happier in my work. 

Faaaaarrrrrr into the Future
Into my future dreams, I would love to be able to provide a small workplace that is fun and that gives my employees something to look forward to getting up for, a dog friendly work place (obviously) and importantly, a planet friendly business! Also, I want be able to prove to others that you can make a living from 'colouring in.' 

One Last Soppy Reason
I suppose one soppy reason for me wanting to start my own creative business is for my dad. He's a fork lift truck driver by day and rock star by night, his bedroom walls are coated in guitars and you very rarely see him sitting still and not drumming along to a tune he's just made up. When he was around 18, he was given the opportunity to go traveling with his band, unfortunately he had to turn down this dream to provide a wage to support his grandparents. Even now, it's still his dream to be on stage- and when he gets the opportunity he really does make me proud (I have something in my eye). I always nag him and tell him that it's never too late - he even received a letter from Marshall Amps to encourage his dreams! So I hope in realising my dreams of being creative for a living, he will soon too!


Me and Dad







Comments

Popular Posts